A cough can be quite frustrating especially when it is accompanied with a sore throat and a nasty running nose.
A cough syrup is quite effective when trying to get rid of these nasty effects. However, are you aware that you can actually make cough syrup at home using honey, lemon, glycerin and even ginger?
Ginger is natural decongestant owing to its anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Honey also does a good job by soothing the throat and finally, lemon is rich in vitamin C which is essential for fighting cold and suppressing cough.
Check out how to make homemade cough syrup using lemon, ginger and honey.
Materials Required: Raw Honey, 2 Lemons, a Knife, Water, Ginger, a Grater, a Mixing Spoon, a Strainer and a bowl, Measuring cups and spoons, a saucepan, a jar.
- Peel the ginger root and cut it into slices using the knife
- Grate 2 fresh lemons using the grater
- Pour one cup of water into the empty saucepan
- Add ¼ cup of the ginger slices and 2 tablespoons of the grated lemon zest
- Heat and allow the solution to boil after which you let it settle down for about 5minutes
- Sieve the solution using a strainer and let it settle
- Pour 1 cup of raw honey into the now-empty saucepan and heat (do not let it boil)
- Add the previously-strained ginger and lemon solution into the saucepan
- Stir while heating (low heat) for about 2-5minutes
- Turn-off the heat and pour the resulting solution into an empty jar.
The resulting solution is your homemade cough syrup which will help to get rid of cough, sore throat or running nose.