Afang Soup is a deliciously prepared soup which originates from the people of Efik (Cross River & Akwa Ibom State)
Afang soup is fast becoming one of the top popular Nigerian soup.It really does not matter your language, background or ethnic group, you can go ahead and try different foods from different Nigerian cultures and ethnicity.
Ground fresh Ukazi leaves
Sliced fresh water leaves
Dried or roasted fish
Salt and Pepper to taste (red fresh pepper)
Meat of choice.
Before Making Afang Soup
- Slice the Ukazi leaf and then ground with either a kitchen blender or hand-grinding machine.
- Slice and wash the water leaves and set aside in a sieve to properly drain away the water.
- Wash the snails with lime juice or grape juice and be sure it is rid of its slimy fluid. The periwinkle (isam) are usually cleaned by the sellers, you just need to wash.
How to Make Afang Soup
- Start by parboiling the already meat with all the necessary ingredients ie Knorr, sliced onions, salt and other spice of choice.
- Soak the dried fish with warm water, remove the centre bones and wash thoroughly with just water; also wash the stock fish with warm water. Add them to the meat on fire and cook till they are soft and the pot is almost dry.
- Add the palm oil, crayfish and stir all together. Add the remaining cube of Knorr, ground pepper, snails, periwinkle and salt to taste, allow cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the water-leaves; allow to simmer for about 5 minutes before adding the ground ukazi. Stir all together, cover the pot and allow for another 5 minutes and you are done with a delicious afang soup.
That is how to prepare afang soup, it can be served with, eba, fufu, pounded yam, wheat.
N.B: You can decide to use the periwinkle with shell but thoroughly washed or buy the ones that are already pulled from the shell.